- Adventure Cycling Association announced on Thursday its second episode of Adventure Cycling Montana, a short film series produced with Epic Montana. The film, Adventure Cycling Montana — TransAm, highlights 71 miles of the TransAmerica Trail from Dillon to Ennis, Montana. “The TransAm is such an iconic route both for Adventure Cycling — as the route that started it all — and in the minds of cyclists who dream of making the quintessential crosscountry trip,” said director Rachel Stevens.
- If cycling is your passion then participate in The 13th Great Lake Tahoe Bike Race & Ride – Registration is now open – This year’s event will be September 26th and 27th. For more details visit TahoeBikeRace.com.
- If you’re a bike shop, frame builder or wheel builder and are looking for a knowledgeable resource that specializes in wheel parts then check out bikewheelparts.com. This new dealer-only wholesale channel owned and run by Brandon Hunziker, grew out of his other business, consumer site bikehubstore.com to better serve his industry partners.
- Have you ever wanted to bike with zebras, while the African horizon blazes off into the distance? Imagine climbing to the top of the highest sand dune in the world? Experience the safari like none other, with our friends at H+I Adventures, experts in mountain biking holidays around the globe. They are offering an incredible 12 day bike safari to Namibia this year, from September 15-26th, 2015 or December 5th to 16th 2015.
- Adding to its world-class roster of athletes, crankbrothers today announced the addition of mountain bike legend and Enduro World Series racer Cedric Gracia to its team. Gracia joins the crankbrothers team with a multi-year partnership and will help crankbrothers build upon a legacy of innovation in developing state-of-the-art mountain bike pedals.
- The 13th annual Mountain Charlie Challenge will be held on Saturday, May 9th, 2015, starting at Skypark in Scotts Valley, CA. The event is hosted by the Scotts Valley Educational Foundation and is the organization’s largest fundraiser. Riders will be escorted into the ride by Scotts Valley Police and welcomed back at Skypark with a barbeque lunch. Derek Timm, president of the Scotts Valley Educational Foundation says “The Mountain Charlie Challenge is one of the most scenic rides in our area, but it’s not just a great ride, it’s for a great cause. From the challenging hills on Mountain Charlie Road, to the scenic strawberry fields in Pajaro, riders of all types can participate. By adding the 5K run/walk, the event is truly ideal for individuals and families.”
- The 2015 Roswell Cycling Festival will be adding craft beer tasting and mountain bike events to this year’s event. The 14th annual event, scheduled for April 25-26, will have mountain bike races at Big Creek Park in addition to the featured road racing. In addition, a Craft Beer Tasting will be part of the popular Historic Roswell Criterium event on Sunday in Historic Roswell, with 11 participating restaurants. roswellcyclingfestival.com
- Polar Bottle and the U.S. Olympic Committee announce Polar Bottle as official water bottle licensee of Team USA. his is the largest multi-sport affinity agreement in the history of Polar Bottle, a leading U.S. brand of insulated reusable water bottles.
- The 2015 BIKE MADRID LISBON Traverse is almost fully booked. Only a few spots are still available for the start of this epic ride. This traverse, that established itself as one of the most spectacular and difficult bike crossings, traverses the mountain ranges of the Iberian Peninsula with over 1000 km of pure adventure with the advantage of finishing on the most-western point of Europe and riding the last km next to magnificent cliff trails by the Atlantic Ocean. Visit bikemadridlisbon.com for more information.
- Sugoi Introduces 60 Day Comfort Guarantee – After building some of the finest cycling shorts for men and women over the last 25 years, Sugoi is backing up a comfort guarantee or consumers can get their money back. Purchase a short from their men and women’s RSE, RS PRO, Evolution, RPM, Neo, RSX, and RPM-X Collections, and if within 60 days, you’re not fully satisfied with the comfort of the garment, you’ll be able to return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased, with proof of purchase for a complete refund or exchange. Visit sugoi.com for more information.
- Are you a professional level cyclist racing in UCI sanctioned races? The CPA, the professional riders association, officially represents the riders and defends their rights at the highest level of cycling governance. The CPA Delegate’s presence will be positive for the riders, but also the other stakeholders: the race organization, teams, and the UCI. For more information visit cpacycling.com.
- Live in England? Over 700 RIDERS have already entered the Burgess Hill Springtime Classic Cyclosportive on the 29th March 2015. They’re closing in quickly on the event and it may fill up so register soon to save money and ensure your entry.
- Here’s your last reminder of our Club Ride giveaway contest that ends tonight. If you haven’t already, take the survey to enter for a chance to win a pair of baggy riding shorts from Club Ride.
Posts in the category 650b
Well, we knew they were coming, and the all-new 2016 Fox Factory 34 FLOAT 27.5+ becomes the first new generation fork designed specifically around 27.5+ tires and the new 15×110 axle standard.
The fork is a completely new model, with everything optimized for wider rims and tires. It’s a whole new chassis, designed specifically for any additional stresses caused by the added leverage the wider hub and increased traction the fatter tires have over it. Beyond the wider legs, there’s a lot of new tech on here, including a brand new 4th generation FIT4 cartridge and an all-new FLOAT damper. Our guess is it’s borrowing some internal goodness from the impressive 36 series introduced last year.
Basically, Fox’s PR manager Mark Jordan says it’s an entirely new fork…but they’re not quite ready to release all of the tech details yet. Those will come at Sea Otter Classic or just before. In the meantime, here’s a quick run down of what is known…
As a young boy, I had posters of Lamborghinis and Ferraris on my bedroom walls. I loved the flawless aesthetics and meticulous no-expenses-spared approach to creating the ultimate machines, and these days I get the same feeling looking at titanium bikes like Wittson’s. My admiring eyes can appreciate the care and craftsmanship involved, even though I’ve never been able to experience the ride.
Wittson Custom Ti Cycles’ Vidmantas ‘Vitas’ Zukauskas has been making titanium frames since the mid 1990’s for road giants Colnago. When the company moved production to Asia, Zukauskas introduced his son into frame building and started Wittson Ti Cycles as a family operation. With a wealth of knowledge from his years of road racing and coaching, Zukauskas builds Wittson bicycles for customers worldwide.
Wittson spent the last days of winter building this mouth-watering machine for cross-country riders, simply called the Custom XC 27.5er. Check out the details of Wittson’s latest XC creation after the jump…
READ MORE ->
Since 2005, Xprezo has been making Canadian-built bikes that are designed, welded and assembled in their home town of Bromont, Quebec. Bromont is an area known to mountain bikers for rough, steep and rocky terrain, so it’s no surprise that Xprezo’s new Magic Carpet model is built to get you up hills, but handle whatever you throw it down.
The Magic Carpet is an aggressive trail bike that features 130mm of travel, but is designed as a do-it-all machine capable of handling terrain far beyond what its numbers might suggest. The rear travel is not the defining characteristic of this bike, as it gets its name and versatility from the suspension’s extremely progressive rate.
Glide on past the break to see how the magic works…
READ MORE ->
- Our friends at amain.com sent us this great video they made of footage from the 3-day Chico Stage Race Presented by Sierra Nevada. This “Director’s Cut” version shows off their great video editing and production skills with on-bike and aerial views in and around the beautiful region of Chico, California. Enjoy!
- Cyclevox, the UK’s leading cycling commentary, PR and production company, has today announced the launch of the world’s first dedicated women’s cycling video channel, Voxwomen. Cyclevox Founder and UCI Women’s World Cup Commentator, Anthony McCrossan, is launching Voxwomen to give female professional cyclists a voice and to encourage equality across the sport.
- Jamis® Bicycles is launching its West Coast Bicycle Test Ride Experience program. Building on the success of their popular East Coast program, Jamis is broadening its reach by supporting an expanding dealer network west of the Mississippi. Visit bicycletestride.com to reserve your Jamis bicycle for upcoming events like The Sea Otter Classic and Ragbrai as well as keeping up to date on all Jamis related events, races and upcoming Bicycle Test Ride Experiences.
- Are you heading to Louisville, Kentucky for NAHBS this weekend? Well then stop by the Road Holland booth and say hello. If you cannot make it to the show then perhaps the next best thing is to save 20% off of anything at RoadHolland.com by using the promo code NAHBS15.
- Isadore Apparel, the high-end cycling apparel brand owned by Pro World Tour rider Martin Velits (Etixx-Quick Step) has opened exclusive Isadore Pop-Up Store in Majorca, Spain. The store is located in Port D’Alcudia in partnership with cycling rental company Bikehead and Bike_nnet Guided Tours in exclusive new surroundings close to the harbor of Port D’Alcudia. isadoreapparel.com
- Edible Pedal combines two passions shared by many Sacramentans: farm-to-fork food and bicycles. Here’s the video about John Boyer and his 10-plus employees who are using bicycles to deliver food from Sacramento’s farm-to-fork restaurants.
- Cycling-friendly city Amsterdam is out of bicycle parking spaces, so it’s building 40,000 more by 2030 to alleviate the problem. Over 880,000 bikes are used around the city and they need parking spaces along the canals. With more bikes than parking spaces it’s a big problem that costs the city and illegally-parked bike owners a lot of money.
- Lynchburg, Virginia bicyclists will have some creative places to park after several artists put finishing touches on racks that will spruce up downtown this summer. Four winners were named in a design contest for the new racks. They are Matt Perkins, Phillip Gabathuler and Davey Hazelgrove, all of Lynchburg, and Roanoke resident John Wilson. Here’s more on the story.
- Are you a traveler, athlete, adventurer or executive? Then you need a Greenbelly bar, a healthy meal that provides 1/3 of your daily nutrition. Made with all natural and delicious ingredients, Greenbelly is a Complete Meal On-The-Go. Now Greenbelly needs your to help the company grow. Check out their Kickstarter campaign.
- Get your kicks on Bicycle Route 66 – Adventure Cycling Association announced the release of their latest route, the 2,493-mile Bicycle Route 66. The route follows the famous corridor from Chicago to Los Angeles on roads appropriate for cyclists through six states. Visit Adventure Cycling Association for more information on Bicycle Route 66 and their other bicycle travel routes..
- The Mystic MTB Race presented by Owenhouse Bicycling Co. is proud to announce that it is back for the second year in a row and will be hosting the event on Saturday July 18, 2015. Featuring 40 miles of challenging climbs, world-class descents and remote scenery, the Mystic MTB Race offers mountain bikers an opportunity to challenge themselves on some of the most enjoyable connector trails in the Gallatin National Forest.
- Are you interested in mountain biking in exotic locals but concerned about the “What if?”. Well H+I Adventures, the specialists in premium mountain biking holidays, has aligned with Global Rescue, a world-class emergency service provider that offers medical and security evacuation assistances and destination reports. Global Rescue will be included on all H+I Adventures trips, whether it is an advanced biker’s journey to Ecuador, or a beginner’s ride in Namibia. Plan your dream trip!
- Josh Bender & Lindsay Beth Currier promise to teach you how to ride with more FUN and FLOW! They’ve announced their 2015 Enduro Mountain Bike Skills Camps schedule. After being asked by her female pupils to coach their husbands, boyfriends and kids, Lindsay recruited her significant other, Josh Bender, to provide a series of COED Enduro Mountain Bike Skills Clinics in their home region of Northern California, and surrounding areas. The first camp starts in April.
The landscape of e-bikes is quickly changing – faster than the opinions of the motorized bicycles. The idea of electric mountain bikes is especially controversial at least here in the U.S. which is probably why Trek’s new Powerfly FS + won’t be making it here any time soon. Trek is calling the Powerfly FS + a “Europe only” model which is why you won’t be finding it on the Trek U.S. website. But if you happen to be one of our international readers or just want to see what Trek and Bosch have been up to, read on…
Judging by the amount of new product at Frostbike this year, 2015 should be a good one for both consumers and retailers. Even if brands didn’t have an expansive collection of new goods, most of them had at least one thing to show off like Vittoria’s new Bomboloni tire for the 29+ category. Aptly named after an Italian filled doughnut, the oversized rubber will be made available in both 29 x 3 and 26 x 4″ versions, but
no word on any 27.5+ options just yet we just heard from Vittoria, and they will be offering a 27.5 x 3.0″ tire to go along with the other options!
Keep reading for the news from Vittoria, Kenda, i9, Onyx and more…
Judging by all the fat bike specific product popping up, you might think you would need all new everything to get your fat bike fix. While not totally true, there are a few things that would definitely make life easier – like pumps that are more accurate at low pressures. We caught wind of the new Topeak JoeBlow Fat at Eurobike, but it seems the company has made a critical change to the pump since we laid eyes on the prototype. Instead of making the pump just for fat bikers, why not build a low pressure pump that will fit the needs of most mountain bikers and cyclocrossers while they’re at it?
Thanks to a small tweak, anyone running pressures under 30 PSI should be a fan of the new JoeBlow family member…
Tubulars might not be the first thing on your mind for mountain bike tires, unless you’re a racer. Even then the number of mountain bikers running tubulars is fairly small compared to the road or cross. However, if you are one of the few gluing your tires to your rims for the dirt, Challenge has a new tire for you. Called simply the MTB Two, the new tire picks up where the original MTB One left off with a wider, more aggressive build.
If you look at the performance benefits of tubulars, it’s surprising they’re not more popular – until you consider the time and skill needed to glue them to the rim. But what if there was a better way? It looks like Effetto Mariposa may have answered that question…