The Red Hook Crit started out in 2008 as an unsanctioned circuit race ridden exclusively on fixed gear track bicycles late at night in an empty industrial park in Brooklyn. Six years, and countless bleeding hipsters later, it has evolved into an international series replete with corporate sponsors. Italian bicycle and lifestyle manufacturer Cinelli was quick to jump on the bandwagon, ponying up a custom painted Vigorelli frameset for the winners of all three events, as well as a limited edition run of cycling caps for all participants, both of which they are now releasing to the public. Bag maker Timbuk2 is also releasing a special backpack commemorating the series’ next two stops in Barcelona, Spain and Milan, Italy.
Hop on your fixie and jump the shark after the break…
The Cinelli x RHC competitor cap for the Red Hook Criterium Barcelona was designed by Jonah Birns as an homage to the “iconic motorsport helmet designs of the past decades.” Cinelli did not confirm whether the artist was also trying to capture the irony of fixie riders propensity to eschew helmets of any kind. Available at Cinelli’s WingedStore.com for $19.93.
You can also get your hands on the Cinelli custom painted Vigorelli framesets that are being awarded to race winners. Specs are as follows:
- Columbus Airplane (Supersection oversized shape) 7005-T6 aluminum frame construction with rear-facing, steel insert horizontal track dropouts at 120mm spacing (no brake mount on frame)
- 1-1/8″ Columbus Straight Carbon color matched, carbon/aluminum (blades/steerer) fork with a 35mm rake and an integrated headset (42.0mm Campy Hiddenset standard): drilled for a brake, but plugged and painted for cleaner aesthetics
- Includes headset, seat clamp and replaceable stainless steel dropout inserts
- Claimed weight frame/fork: 1500g/560g (54cm)
You can buy the frameset direct fromWingedStore.com for $677.54.
The unsanctioned-fixie-crit-focused Team Cinelli Chrome is looking to reinvigorate a European fad from the 60s with the release of… marbles. According to Cinelli the “Rolling to Barcelona marble set” harks back to a time when young cycling fans on the sandy beaches of Italy, France, and Spain could be found with their prized beach marbles featuring the world’s top riders; marbles were so popular that there was a giant one erected in Marco Pantani’s hometown. Cinelli has not clarified how you can get your hands on the sure to be collectible item, or how kids played marbles on a beach.
Timbuk2 also collaborated with Red Hook Crit Founder David Trimble to create a custom pack for the race series. The Red Hook Crit Backpack is designed specifically for cyclists who prefer to ride to their races. The lightweight pack features pockets designed to hold a helmet, U-lock, race kit, cleats and other essentials (baby wipe dispenser?). Features include:
- Converts from a backpack to duffel, with shoulder straps that tuck away
- Ultra-light, compressible bag that folds into its own internal pocket for easy stowage
- Two internal pockets
- Outside pocket with flap-over for holding a U-lock or smaller items
- Water resistant, silicone coated fabric and PU coated water-resistant zipper
- “Incognito” reflective elements for nighttime visibility
Pricing is set at $99.