POC Introduces Eye Park, Offers Sunglass Stowage on the Fly

POC-Eye-Park_Octal-AVIP-MIPS

Recently, we found out a bit ahead of time that POC was going to be offering a new version of their radical Octal helmet with the added protection of the MIPS system. What we didn’t know at the time was that along with the Octal MIPS, POC was working on a new sunglass stowage device called the Eye Park. Designed in conjunction with the Garmin-Sharp Pro Cycling team, Eye Park was created to address the need to temporarily remove your dark shades in order to see the road surface. Whether that means riding through a tunnel, or a dense forest, there are times when sunglasses are simply too dark to properly see.

For Garmin-Sharp, one of the big motivations for the idea were the tunnels on the Giro d’Italia. The rapid transition from full sun to very dark while racing in the pro peloton is apparently pretty scary, but due most of the pros don’t want to take the glasses completely off. The answer is the Eye Park – a system of magnets on both the helmet and the glasses.

“The idea was born at a training camp in Mallorca. I shared a thought I had about using magnets on the helmet and eyewear, to avoid having to take your glasses on and off and put them in pockets or the team car. POC listened and here we are”, says Nathan Haas from team Garmin-Sharp. “Having a responsive sponsor like POC as part of team Garmin-Sharp is so imperative to our performance because their mission to make safer and smarter products isn’t just talk. POC listen, innovate and create. It’s that simple”

The system allows rider to simply lift up the glasses and the magnets will connect, keeping the shades just high enough to see the road. When you’re back into full sun, simply give the glasses a tug and they’re back in place. The set up allows for visibility at a moment’s notice without the hassle of taking them completely off to stow in the Eye Garage, jersey pocket, etc. Eye Park appears to be a separate option aside from the Octal, but we’ll get more details on pricing and compatibility next week at Eurobike.

pocsports.com

Comments

Pancakes - 08/21/14 - 2:42pm

Those glasses seem mighty big though. Would they really go up much if the helmet fits properly?

Zach Overholt - 08/21/14 - 2:45pm

@pancakes, I’m guessing looking forward you will still be able to see the glasses. It seems like they should lift enough to see the road surface. We’ll find out when we see it in person soon!

David - 08/21/14 - 2:59pm

I have a nose, and when transitioning from light to dark at speed, I push my glasses down my nose and look over the top. I use Nasal Attractors, a set of strong rare-earth element magnets lodged into my nose. There is a magnet on my sunglasses as well, creating an efficient system that can be used with any helmet. I can also hang a spoon from my nose, which is good fun at parties.

rehsper - 08/21/14 - 3:25pm

Wow, combine that with a pair of Navin R. Johnson’s Opti-Grab glasses and then you’d really have something.

ES - 08/21/14 - 3:32pm

Might as well just wear a motorcycle helmet!! Are the people designing this stuff freakin’ blind?

il Bruce - 08/21/14 - 3:33pm

(deleted)

Al Boneta - 08/21/14 - 3:36pm

Interesting, but I don’t find the styling of the glasses or the helmet very appealing.

Kevins - 08/21/14 - 3:54pm

I would think that your sweat would drip into the glasses when they are upright.

Slow Joe Crow - 08/21/14 - 4:13pm

@ES, adding a flip down tinted visor like a lot of modern motorcycle helmets would actually be a good idea. My Scorpion flip front helmet has a tinted inner visor controlled by a lever on the side of the helmet and it works great.

groghunter - 08/21/14 - 4:16pm

@ES Ha, i didn’t notice that, it totally looks like vespa kit.

Sweaty Rider - 08/21/14 - 4:29pm

I remove my glasses to get better airflow and to provide glove access when sweat is getting into my eyes on climbs. I don’t think this stowage solution would help much in that situation.

drew - 08/21/14 - 6:00pm

To the above comments: “…looks like they would [insert "not work" and reason]“. These guys have a history of designing products that do work. They might have even thought of some of the above points.

How about before you get the impulse to take to the keyboard to share an opinion, you have a basis for that opinion (have you tested the product? have you seen the product in person? Tried it? Do you work in industrial design?)

If that is too hard, then how about a comment other than “I don’t like it, these a$$es are idiots.” etc.

Tomi - 08/21/14 - 6:23pm

I welcome the introduction of mips but don’t really see the point of the “Eye Park”. When entering a tunnel I just slide the glasses down my nose a bit to look over the frame.

il Bruce - 08/21/14 - 9:25pm

Somebody doesn’t like Steve Martin…

Noodles - 08/21/14 - 10:39pm

Sugru and magnets. GO!

gopheruvula - 08/21/14 - 11:51pm

Bad for those with retinal pacemakers

two shay - 08/25/14 - 11:00am

Looks like it does not go high enough to not impede vision when in the drops or low over the hoods