Strava and Specialized Team up for “Strava Shop Pages”

strava spesh 2

Hoping to provide another way for customers to interact with their favorite shops, Specialized is partnering with Strava to develop what they call “Strava Shop pages.” Currently only offered to select Specialized retailers in the US, Canada, UK, and Austrailia, Shop Pages contain the shop’s identity plus allow the unique customers of that shop to compete amongst themselves on a personal leaderboard. This allows both the shop and the customers to see how is out riding the most, as well as climbing stats.

Strava Spesh 1

Shops will also be able to create group events that are announced through the Strava program. Currently limited to select Specialized retailers, the pres release states that the service will be available to all bike retailers later in the year.

Comments

Rico - 04/05/14 - 7:12pm

Will big online retailers be welcome to this? Just wondering, because those are my favorite shops and it says “Hoping to provide another way for customers to interact with their favorite shops”. Or is this just meant to aid local “LBS” shops? In my area local shops are terrible ripoffs.

Nate - 04/05/14 - 8:37pm

@Rico, it seems as though those are your favorite ‘stores.’ There is a large difference between a bike shop and a retailer of cycling goods.

Jason - 04/05/14 - 8:42pm

You missed the point. Online shops do not build cycling.
No group rides. The point is to build some substance to
Cycling-riding buddies, teaching new riders, cultivating aspiring
Racers…
Online you get a good price- and nothing else.
Support the local shop.

DesertWolf - 04/05/14 - 8:45pm

@ Rico – Please never ever come into my store. You’re the type that gets pissed I won’t sell you an Ultegra gruppo for the same price you can get it on the Internet.

Volsung - 04/05/14 - 8:56pm

let’s cry about how technology changes the way we shop. I’m going to complain to the owner of the local general store when I pick up my supplies for the month if my money makes it to me via the pony express.

goridebikes - 04/05/14 - 9:41pm

Volsung misses the point…
The criticism of Mr. Online Shopper is that he’s missing the point as well.
The idea of a “shop page” is to promote customers of the shop to create a community – an online store has customers across the country, rendering things like local leader boards or group rides fairly pointless – this is meant for brick/mortar stores by design. Not as an attempt to discriminate against customers who want cheap prices, but as a way to build community amongst people who might not otherwise get to know eachother.

justride - 04/05/14 - 9:57pm

I work in a bike shop and while it can be frustrating that online retailers offer ridiculous prices. Instead of complaining and alienating cyclists who shop in this manner, I look at it as a challenge to provide the best customer service and knowledge. A bike shop contributes to bike culture and personal relationships. A virtual cycling world like Strava flies directly in the face of the social aspects of cycling. My advice is to get off your smart phone and go out and ride…with real people. We are a Specialized dealer and I will NOT be opening a Strava shop page!

Alex - 04/05/14 - 11:46pm

Maybe Cafe Roubaix can get a shop page? #specializedisevil

Antipodean_G - 04/06/14 - 1:34am

Hmm. Maybe I missed something but I thought Strava was slowly killing ‘community’ rides, as every metre of a ride becomes a pissing contest? I was amazed to see the smallest, little insignificant bits of rides I do logged as segments…..

And yes, we ARE an online store but only because no local shop in this country was willing to pay our wholesale price… because out kit, made locally costs a lot more than stuff out of ‘China’.

Antipodean_G - 04/06/14 - 1:37am

PS: I support, and will continue to, good local shops and I support good online retailers. The world’s global folks, best get used to it.

MB - 04/06/14 - 10:34am

How is this different from what shops are currently doing by creating “clubs”?

Brent - 04/06/14 - 1:04pm

Sounds like a great way to open litigation against Spesh when a stupid Strava chaser blows a redlight trying to win a KOM.

Champs - 04/06/14 - 5:40pm

Antipodean_G: the world’s going virtual, best get used to it.

Strava didn’t invent the pissing contest. Everybody’s got a Wednesday Worlds “community” ride in their area. If you don’t want to get up at 6am to take on that ride, drop $10 on a four corner crit, or join a plodding no-drop group ride, then maybe you should compete on the Internets.

Of course I hate all of that. I use it to track/compare my own rides, study routes, and find new ones. The last thing I do is look at the leaderboards. Those KOMs will never be mine, but maybe that name you keep seeing near your own is someone worth riding with.

AR - 04/06/14 - 9:19pm

@justride, plenty of people Strava their chill group rides. Not everyone wants snag KOMs. However, if you’re a shop and you’re NOT open to using something like this, might as well shut your doors while you’re only a little behind. This is a way to future-proof your shop. No, you can’t compete with online parts prices. But, now you can track the miles of your customers, and customers of other shops, and drive traffic to your store/service department by messaging them about their long over-due 150hr rear shock service, or their bearing service after all their riding during the spring mud. With your attitude, you’re basically giving customers to your competition, who are likely more open-minded.

goridebikes - 04/06/14 - 10:48pm

@justride, I don’t see how this kills the social aspect of cycling. Personally, the simple “kudos” you can get/give are a nice “attaboy” from someone you might not otherwise see that often to inspire you to keep riding. And losing your KOM, if you’re into that – motivation to ride. And, seeing a cool loop someone does, or that they’re out riding every day – makes me want to go ride with them.

I feel like saying Strava is bad for reality-based interactions is like saying Facebook is bad for that… I beg to differ. Sure, it encourages us to stare at our screens… but the content that makes that rewarding is only achieved by going out and doing cool stuff to take your selfies and win your KOMs…

This is cool. I can’t understand the hate…

shakeli - 04/07/14 - 1:38pm

How does my shop sign up for this. This can be a fantastic tool for us

Fattylocks - 04/07/14 - 8:46pm

@Brent, you nailed it.
Google KOM. See what the first result is.

Andy - 04/25/14 - 9:13am

I’ll also agree with the confusion for the Strava hate. If someone doesn’t like it, don’t participate. 3 nights a week, I can go out on group rides and turn myself inside out until my eyes bleed, and the intensity has nothing to do with Strava. Boys will be boys, regardless of if a website/service exists to track how fast they are.

That being said, lots of people like tracking things. They like knowing where they stand among those they ride with. They like accumulating numbers. They like improving. Strava fills this desire, and if it can be leveraged to build more of a community, I see zero downside.