SRM Takes Mountain Bike Power Meter Cranks Single File for 1x Drivetrains (UPDATED)

SRM-single-chainring-mtb-powermeter-crankset-SRAM-XX1

The new SRM 1x PowerMeters bring an updated design to their off road crankset power meters, and it’s way cleaner than the prototypes we spotted at Sea Otter last year!

The unit is completely sealed from the elements and uses a smooth, flat external housing to keep mud and debris from sticking to it. Inside, their solid state battery is good for up to 700 hours of riding. It’ll be upgradeable to their externally (i.e. user) rechargeable battery when it becomes available later this year.

The 1x SRM uses a standard 104BCD spider to accommodate standard size chainrings, and they claim it adds just 70g to the crankset. It’s available on SRAM XX1, Cannondale SiSL2, FSA K-Force Light and Shimano XT cranksets, and you can choose between SRAM XO1 X-Sync rings (32t-38t) or Race Face Narrow-Wide Single-Rings (30t-38t).

SRM-single-chainring-mtb-powermeter-crankset-Cannondale-SiSL2

They communicate wirelessly via ANT+ to the SRM Power Control 7 or any other ANT+ cycling computer that’ll read power data.

SRM-single-chainring-mtb-powermeter-crankset-ShimanoXT

Pricing is:

• 1X MTB PowerMeter – SRAM XX1 GXP – MSRP $2499
  • 1X MTB PowerMeter – Cannondale SiSL2 – MSRP $2199
  • 1X MTB PowerMeter – FSA K-Force Light – MSRP $2599
  • 1X MTB PowerMeter – Shimano XT – MSRP $2599

SRM-single-chainring-mtb-powermeter-crankset-FSA-KforceLight

All models are available now.

UPDATE: The Cannondale cranks are the only BB30 model shown here. They’re working on at least two other BB30 options for release soon.

SRM.de

Comments

EM2 - 03/10/14 - 4:44am

Some much hi tech
the rechargeable battery is an upgrade ?

JMS - 03/10/14 - 5:39am

Just too bloody expensive!

I mean, SISL costs 900 euros ( >1000$) here for the crank alone and yet its the cheapest model… WTF is with that logic?

Psi Squared - 03/10/14 - 6:50am

What’s up with the pricing? Well, you’ll have to ask SRM what it costs to get each crank from each manufacturer and what it takes to integrate the power meter. At this point SRM isn’t concerned that some folks consider their PM’s to be too expensive because SRM has positioned themselves as the standard by which all other power meters are measured. That is arguably the case.

alvis - 03/10/14 - 9:05am

I guess they have just been saying it the loudest for the longest; what is this ‘standard’ of which they speak?

Is what they offer worth it?

Chris - 03/10/14 - 11:55am

Nice job SRM! Looking forward to getting one of these on my xx1 bike for leadville!

Hmmm - 03/10/14 - 2:36pm

Still not sure I get the single ring crank. Seems like a great option for people who downhill, but seems really limited for those who want to both climb and hammer. The latter being the group who would be interested in measuring power and should probably be on a 2 ring crank at a minimum.

crazyeddie - 03/10/14 - 5:34pm

the price is obviously just for the spider, the hollowgram is not included.

Jugi - 03/11/14 - 6:40am

Hmmm, it depends on your surroundings. I live in Finland and raced numerous XC marathon events last year on a 29″ 2×10 setup. For this year I moved to 1×11, because I feel it’s much more intuitive to use. I will have to change the front ring a couple of times during the season between 32T and 34T, based on the experience I got last year. Some races require more top end and others would be too hard without a decent low end. If I lived in Austria, Switzerland or Utah in the US, I’d probably have completely different needs.

The more interesting question to me is, if there really is a need for power measurement in mountain biking apart high level athletes? I have a power meter in my road bike and it’s a great tool for training, but I can only see myself benefitting from it on a mountain bike when pacing up a long climb. Other than that, the numbers would most likely be all over the place and therefore quite useless.