Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Lake Superior Sunset

bikerumor pic of the day lake superior sunset

Photo submitted by Bob Beahen, “On Saturday, February 1st, I ventured out onto Lake Superior to check out the ice caves, driving up from Minneapolis MN. For the first time since 2009, the lake was frozen under the right conditions to allow people to check out the caves. Most people were on foot; I chose the Surly Moonlander. After battling the huddled masses, I finally reached an area with less travelers. The ice was booming and shifting, obviously still liquid many feet below me. It was well worth the ride, the ice, and the cold, to catch a once-in-a-lifetime sunset.”

We always love to see your photos and would like to show them to the world here on the Pic Of The Day. Send in your photo with a brief description here.

Comments

Ryan - 02/03/14 - 9:16am

Living inside my dreams.

pmurf - 02/03/14 - 9:38am

I never comment on these POTDs, but this is a stunning capture. So cool.

King County - 02/03/14 - 10:31am

Super awesome photo! It must have been a great day of adventure.

wheelguy - 02/03/14 - 10:48am

Best POTD I’ve ever scene. Looks like something out of a LOTRs movie.

bsimon - 02/03/14 - 2:20pm

If he’s up at Apostle Islands Nat’l Lakeshore, the NPS put the kibosh on riding out there. Its a designated ‘roadless area’ (yes, the lake too), and they are thus far not inclined to exempt bicycles on the ice, as they’re banned on the land. Having said that, word on the streets is that rangers look the other way.

bbeahen - 02/03/14 - 3:43pm

@bsimon. You’re absolutely correct. NPS was restricting some bike usage, and I’m not 100% sure why some bikes were allowed, and some weren’t. I was actually ushered through by a handful of rangers, the last one being very friendly! Some other riders I encountered weren’t so lucky, and were told to bring bikes back to their cars. It seemed to be 50/50 for access. I wouldn’t count on being able to ride, but I think this year things are a bit more lax.

Evan - 02/03/14 - 9:05pm

Tried to go out Saturday. Very friendly DNR officer sent us away. Maybe next time.

gringo - 02/04/14 - 2:57am

_note to the guys yapping about maybe / maybe not legal access. If you don’t want the big boss putting the kibosh on local rangers looking the other way…..maybe you should not post about it on the internets and get said local rangers in hot water with the Boss Man.

just a thought.

jwest - 02/04/14 - 7:07am

why not just walk or ski you lazy bikers ?!

skipdapbaddamarangdoo - 02/04/14 - 9:36am

This is beautiful! The Gitchie is a very special place!