Bell Built is Back – Bell Helmets Offering $100,000 for 3 New MTB Projects Built By IMBA
As you’re probably aware, trails aren’t free. It takes countless man-hours, usually of volunteers, to craft the dirt in the sweet sweet singletrack you have come to love. Trails also often need money for things to be built, and Bell is here to help. Again. After introducing the Bell Built Contest in 2013, Steamboat Springs, CO, Burke, VT, and Copper Harbor, MI all cashed in on the grants from Bell for a new Pump Track/bike park, Flow trail, and downhill trail respectively.
Much like the 2013 contest, for 2014 there is $100,000 in grants up for grabs to be split between three winners. See how you can enter your own project proposal for consideration, next.
Funding will be available for the same three type of projects as last year – Pump Track/Bike Park, Flow Trail, and DH/Gravity trail. Applications for grants will be split into three IMBA regions, of which 4 regional finalists will be chosen, for 12 total. Selection of the finalists will be carried out by the director of IMBA Trail Solutions and Bell Helmets. From there, the voting will be offered up to the public much like last year where you can vote on Facebook or other methods. One winner will be chosen from each region.
- West Coast: Southwest, Northern California and Pacific Northwest Regions
- Central: Colorado/Wyoming, South Central, Upper Midwest, Great Lakes Regions
- East Coast: SORBA/Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Regions
- Jan 13: Application submission opens
- Feb 28: Submission deadline for applications
- March 5: Bell Helmets and IMBA select 12 Regional Finalists
- March 7: Regional Finalists contacted and announced in media
- April 7-April 20: Voting West Coast Regional Finalists
- April 21-May 4: Voting Central Regional Finalists
- May 5-May 18: Voting East Coast Regional Finalists
- May 19: Bell Built Grant Media Announcement
- June-September: IMBA Trail Solutions begins design and construction of the 3 winning projects
Head over the IMBA Bell Built Grant page for more information, including what you need to include in your proposals to be considered. This isn’t just a win and they’ll come build all your trails for you, you have to have a plan, land manager/community support, volunteers, etc. However, if you should win, not only will the grant from Bell be a huge help financially, but the under the guidance of the IMBA Trail Solution crew you’ll end up with one of the best mountain bike facilities around.