Trek Introduces Trek Factory Racing, Plus Sneak Peek at new Bontrager Aero Helmet

1013287_10152315015763296_1598387353_n

Centered at the Velodrome de Roubaix, Trek introduced their new Trek Factory Racing team to a number of fans and retailers. Starting with a modified Tour of Flanders ride, Trek went on to introduce the new team kit, bikes, and gear, which you can get a quick look at, after the break.

Trek Factory Racing Team Launch (7) Trek Factory Racing Team Launch (3)

Trek Factory Racing Team Launch (6) Trek Factory Racing Team Launch (1)

Clad in mostly black with white pinstripes, the team kit uses white panels for the right sleeve and the gripper on the left leg of the shorts. In addition to the team issue Velocis helmet, the launch showcases what appears to be a new Bontrager Aero road helmet. Possibly the Velocis Aero?

Trek Factory Racing Team Launch (5)

Of Course the flagship bike for the team will remain the Team Issue Trek Madone 7 series. The team’s bikes are outfitted with Shimano’s Dura Ace drivetrains, Bontrager Components, and likely Schwalbe tires, though it’s pictured here with Bontrager Tires.

Trek Factory Racing Team Launch (8)

Classics, or road races where comfort is a priority will be raced on what’s called the “all new Trek Domane.”

Trek Factory Racing Team Launch (2)

Finally, Time Trials will be contested on the Team Issue Speed Concept. For a full team line up and more on Trek Factory Racing, check out the team’s site.

Comments

johnny M - 01/10/14 - 5:45pm

Flight of the Navigator

Wes - 01/10/14 - 6:04pm

That aero helmet looks to me like an aero cover over the standard Velocis?? No word from Trek yet on such a thing, but it would make sense

Mike C - 01/10/14 - 6:20pm

When you intro your new race team and bikes at a velodrome, is it irony if you don’t even have a track bike in your line up…? Of just a stupid, glaring oversight by someone in Marketing?

MeroMasta - 01/10/14 - 6:36pm

The velodrome happens to be the Roubaix velodrome, where Cancellara won the Paris-Roubaix. The team is built around Fabian and the Classics, specifically Roubaix, so to me it makes perfect sense.

spokejunky - 01/10/14 - 6:39pm

Go check out GP Sven Nys coverage. He’s got the new lid on in that race along with the new bike.

hollywood - 01/10/14 - 6:45pm

black. white. red. snore.

pin stripes….[forehead slap]

ken - 01/10/14 - 6:56pm

Classy, simple look. Love it.

hollywood - 01/10/14 - 7:11pm

mostly the pin stripes make me think Florscheim wingtips. It’s classy, in a cufflinks and cigars kinda way. ;-)

Jacob - 01/10/14 - 7:33pm

“all new Trek Domane”… What’s new about it? It’s been around about as long as the 7 series Madone and that’s not mentioned as “new”.

some guy - 01/10/14 - 7:39pm

“hey here’s another helmet that will never be available”

X - 01/10/14 - 10:01pm

Fingers crossed, Jacob, it’s the “pro endurance” Domane, aka Fabian’s H1 Domane. Don’t see a need to buy another Trek racing bike, as my 2013 5.2 Madone is pretty good, but I’d get much more interested if I could get a H1 Domane for less than PROJECT ONE EPIC DOLLAZ

Rico - 01/11/14 - 4:53am

Lol Hollywood. Yankees suck!

Fanboy - 01/11/14 - 5:29am

the “Roubaix veledrome”?

better not let Specialized hear about that.

SMW - 01/11/14 - 5:33am

Boring as Bat Sh*t !!!! – US teams all seem to miss the Charisma !!! that most Euro teams display.

Jacob - 01/11/14 - 5:58am

X’ it would indeed be great if they started to offer both the H1 and H2 in the Domane but looking at the picture, it still looks like the H3 to me.

ThinkAgain - 01/11/14 - 9:14am

I like the drese kite, but i do feel sorry for the team in hot days when the black coloured kit will only make things worse. Otherwise like the colors, just wouldn’t buy it for myself…

bluesteel - 01/11/14 - 9:30am

x and ThinkAgain. Slam that stem (.com) Most all of the population have no business needing the H1. Don’t you know that the frame is actually stiffer if you have less steer tube exposed. Drop some spacers and go with an appropriate angled stem. Just sayin’

Reformed Roadie - 01/11/14 - 10:17am

damn…Fanboy beat me to it.
SpecialEd has the legal team working the weekend over this one…

FA - 01/11/14 - 12:04pm

Trek says the new helmet is not an aero helmet, but it is for inclement weather. It is called Velocis AW, where AW presumably stands for all-weather):

AlanM - 01/11/14 - 12:42pm

We get it folks, you are very clever by making a comment about Specialized on every post. Give it a rest already.

ChrisH - 01/11/14 - 1:43pm

The Domane was new last year and was first available this time last year. They’re probably calling it the “All New Domane” because its now available in 11 speed.

Jason Spiker - 01/11/14 - 2:21pm

At some point Trek has got to ditch the Bontrager brand name from it’s offerings. The wheels are great I guess, but just call them Trek wheels. Something about the ring of Bontrager name is a turn off imo. Probably in my case it’s old mediocre MTB Bontrager parts that I have lying around, some go in the trash. I just never liked the brand at all. I think it was a Klein mtb that came loaded with those parts, all awful.

Jonathan - 01/11/14 - 2:52pm

I think Trek needs MORE staff!

Graves - 01/11/14 - 10:41pm

@Jason – Most of today’s bike buyers don’t remember Bontrager as a steel MTB maker, much less a producer of mediocre spec parts. These days, Bontrager makes some pretty cutting edge stuff, along with a usual run of generic parts that fill the usual OEM spec. However, the Bontrager name is working for them, and it’s unlikely they’ll go with just “Trek,” because they know that the Trek name isn’t fantastically well regarded for a variety of reasons, and because they are currently providing Bontrager products as OEM to a number of small bike makers, the biggest of which I can think of being Lynskey, down in Tennessee. Obviously these makers are not going to put “Trek” branded parts on their bikes, and vice versa.

Jason Spiker - 01/12/14 - 2:38pm

I hear ya Graves. It’s just a branding observation and personal opinion, something about the sound of the name maybe. And yeah I’ve been aware of the guy himself since the early 90s mtb scene.

Put it this way – I would bet a stack of hundreds that if you took the top end Madone, replaced the Bonty parts with third party high end parts (fizik saddle, HED or Shimano Wheels, V-Pro cockpit and post), that it would make the bike more appealing to high end customers. Using the Bonty parts seems to make it stale.

Jason Spiker - 01/12/14 - 2:53pm

To be fair, Spec and Giant do this as well, but it’s stale in those cases too. It seems that it’s aimed at LBS showroom type scenarios. Maybe that’s just fine, I dunno. I think that we’re at this crossroads with the internet exposing all of these boutique and “pro” options for people to drool over, and that that may compete harder with the all-in-one top brands nowadays.

Also, I’m sure some of those house brand parts are great. Anyone who rides a lot of miles knows you have to learn your favorite parts through trial and error, and if you get a setup through a sponsor that’s not your favorite you can learn to love it. I personally get s-works frames but use my own parts. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a complete bike all the way back to my first frame which was a Panda lol.

It must be hard to open a shop these days and try to decide whether to go the boutique route or the big brand route.