Found: Speed Evolution Lightweight Alloy Tubeless Valve Stems

Speed Evolution lightweight alloy tubeless valve stems for bicycle rims and tires

High tech innovation and tubeless valve stems may not often come up in the same conversation, but Speed Evolution’s new alloy models at least get them in the same room.

Creator Derek Hermon has been tinkering with the (patent pending) design for six years, looking to create something that’s lighter, works better and is more versatile than the typical brass valve stems most of us are probably using. Anything that’s lighter and comes in various anodized colors immediately has our attention. When it promises to work better, too, we really perk up. He says they’re about half the weight, which means less rotating mass, particularly important on a part that can throw off the balance of the wheel, too.

The real “tech” comes in the design and features, though…

The inside diameter is larger, which helps move more air through them for quicker inflation. It also means sealant is less likely to clog it up.

The vulcanized rubber base is oversized -Hermon says it’s fat enough to seal a Schrader valve hole- and has a raised center section to help keep sealant from pooling in the hole. A thick o-ring and oversized “nut” on the outside create a solid seal from the outside.

The valve core is removable, and the subtle bonus are color-matched plastic caps. Length is 35mm. They’ll retail for $20 a pair, and dealer pricing is available. Gold, pink, red and green available now. Blue, black and gunmetal coming soon, as is a 48mm option. He’s even working on a dedicated Schrader valve version, as well as a website. In the meantime, hit him up on Facebook or through Bear Valley Bikes to get some. We found them on eBay, too.

Comments

rico - 11/17/13 - 9:49pm

Those look real nice, especially the o-ring on the lock nut side.

greg - 11/17/13 - 10:26pm

o-ring on the nut is pointless.
American Classic has been making nice red aluminum tubeless valves for a long time. WTB has some, Duke, im sure some others. the new 2014 Specialized ones are also aluminum and the base threads stop short of the valve to save your pump grommet.
i dont see how sealant would pool in the valve base. the only time the valve is oriented with the base up is when the valve is at the top of the wheel. all the sealant would be at the other end.
i would also be wary of the enlarged valve bore. ive seen an aluminum valve break from a fist-sized kicked up rock hitting it just-so.

Derek Hermon - 11/17/13 - 10:42pm

You need to try my valves..American classic actually rtip them off on my design I’m the one that told him to make them in aluminum. I also miss you mention this to Specialized…! how many of these have you broken..! they’re all interior design and my patent is based on the entire package.

Derek Hermon - 11/17/13 - 10:45pm

Not sure why it posted 3 times..just do a head to head test.

blinkme - 11/17/13 - 11:02pm

Awesome! Digging the o-ring.

Sevo - 11/17/13 - 11:26pm

Sadly, alloy valve stems…especially on mountain bikes…doesn’t work. They break. Its not the best material for the application.

Not sure what he’s going to patent….it looks like the American Classic one, just available in more colors.

Biggermig - 11/17/13 - 11:54pm

Thank God! For so long I have felt my brass valves throwing off the balance of my wheels. These are wonderful! Do they fit 27.5? Because I heard that 27.5 is the only wheel size to ride. I’ve nearly quit riding because of the excessive weight of my brass valve stems. Do these come with carbon fiber valve stem caps?

Carl - 11/17/13 - 11:54pm

A brass valve stem throws off the balance of the wheel? Come on man. You guys are often pushing the weight-weenie nonsense, but that has to be tongue in cheek.

Dr.Unk - 11/18/13 - 1:03am

Ours is even lighter!

Rob - 11/18/13 - 4:31am

O ring on the top is the correct engineering for this. It is not meant to stop air coming out. There are multiple functions for it, esp with respect to coming loose and possible breakage.

Balance. Ha ha.

Nat - 11/18/13 - 4:48am

Dr. Unk, you should probably read the article again. For someone designing bike parts you have very poor attention to detail and/or engineering knowledge.

Loki - 11/18/13 - 5:18am

Ohh! Valves! and just 20 bucks! i’m super impressed… are there any that match my black rims? in black for example? must have haha

Rasi - 11/18/13 - 5:48am

If only American Classic would have not thought of that a long time ago….:

Keith - 11/18/13 - 5:58am

aluminum is so heavy, why not carbon? and then some carbon tires!

Nathan - 11/18/13 - 6:25am

I tried the american classic valves on Stan’s rims and they wouldn’t seal properly. Tubeless systems are fairly proprietary…

buddy - 11/18/13 - 8:09am

WTB does colors and alloy and 2 lengths.

Arbinka - 11/18/13 - 9:20am

Well, Derek – I’m quite sceptic about the need for Alloy valves or their durability, Though I may try them anyway. But if you’ll manage to make an upper-part Schrader valve which fits into a Presta hole – that is, a Schrader assembly for tubless valves, which works better than the standard adapters – I’ll be sold. I positively hate presta valves.

Ryan - 11/18/13 - 9:45am

Can somebody explain to me why presta valves are so popular for mountain bikes?! The way I understand it is that presta valves were used on ROAD bikes because of the narrow rims, so when I see them on fat bikes and wide MTB rims it leaves me scratching my head. Schrader valves are so much tougher, why would anyone want a presta on their MTB?

BMW - 11/18/13 - 9:52am

I hear ya Ryan, those d*mn french valves suck…always keep breaking the heads off them and they don’t even fit my garage compressor!
Now those skronglite guys seem to know whats good.

buddy - 11/18/13 - 10:17am

At low tire pressure-a tire can slip on the rim at hard braking efforts. The presta lock ring keeps the tube from going along and ripping off the valve. Now with tubeless-not an issue. A bigger valve would make adding fluid and seating easier. Who will get this an move the technology forward?

Padrote - 11/18/13 - 11:51am

OOh yeah tubeless schrader, then I can save money by getting valve stems from the gas station

gravity - 11/18/13 - 12:15pm

Because Presta heads lack a valve spring, Presta is easier to pump, especially at very low pressures, than Schrader valves. Presta pumps are also lighter and easier to use than Schrader ones, since Presta need not contain a valve opening device.

Websters - 11/18/13 - 1:04pm

For a guy who can’t spell or use correct grammar, I’m sure his engineering skills are top notch….. Yeah right!

Nick - 11/18/13 - 2:27pm

I also wouldn’t want an alloy stem for mtn, even though I am saving a gram or two. On the road? Solo, but not in a group ride.

sillybike - 11/18/13 - 4:26pm

Alloy is great! It could be the user is lacking skill to put air in his/her tires w/presta! i see it all the time! i will buy these! French valves!hahahahha
@Biggermig, just ride your bike!

MaLóL - 11/19/13 - 7:28am

this is no news. I´ve been using the Duke aluminium valves for over 2 years. They work great. The ones by american classic do not seal properly, specially with stan’s rims, because the rubber part design of the american classic alu valves is really bad…

Gabe - 11/19/13 - 7:04pm

Love my alloy schrader tubeless valves. Mine are branded under 949racing but I don’t know if they actually make them. Something like 8g/each and only $8.50 for a pair. And they’re black. But after some time the anodizing wears from abrasion… Not a big deal if you use a valve cap though. Never really was a fan of presta. If only someone would come out with some tubeless Dunlop valves!

Derek Hermon - 12/28/13 - 7:44am

Update http://www.speed-evolution.com

Everyone loving the valves. 5 More colors and 48mm.