Teva Announces Their Exit from Mountain Biking, Stock Up Now

Less than 2 months after Teva teased us with their prototype Virgin freeride shoe at Interbike, the company has informed us that they will be stepping away from the mountain bike world completely at the end of 2014. The announcement comes as quite the surprise after a run of successful models like the Links, Carbon, and the Pivot clipless. According to Teva PR Manager Jaime Eschette, the exodus isn’t for lack of passion or interest in the mountain bike brand, but rather allow them to shift focus and resources as they prepare for Teva’s 30th anniversary in 2014. All of those involved in the mountain bike project are sad to see it go away, but are excited about future opportunities with Teva and the success of the mountain bike brand in a short period of time.

Of course this means that the Virgin prototype will never see production as new model production has ceased. Teva mountain bike shoes will be available at retail for the majority of 2014, but at the end of the year when they’re gone, they’re gone. Better stock up.

If it means anything, we’re sad to see them go.

Comments

Quinn - 11/12/13 - 4:00pm

Saw this coming when the Mountain Games, switched from Teva to GoPro

pete - 11/12/13 - 4:35pm

Does this mean an end for ALL of teva’s bike lines? Or just the freeride lines? I’m still digging my Teva Roller Mesh for around town riding.

trinidad - 11/12/13 - 4:56pm

I just think of old hippies in black socks and sandals when I think of Teva.

Chader - 11/12/13 - 6:25pm

If only everyone looked just like you dwiz…

the world would be a prettier place :/

dwiz - 11/12/13 - 6:41pm

no applause just money. yes, thank you may i have another.

Mr # 7 - 11/12/13 - 7:39pm

All other shoe mfg take note…perfect opportunity to copy proven functionally capable mtb shoes that customers won’t feel like a tool wearing off the bike. Just add a bit more toe protection please.

rico - 11/12/13 - 9:55pm

Vans

Star - 11/12/13 - 11:34pm

I love the wind through my toes, no where did I put my Croc SPD shoes??

Stamps - 11/13/13 - 2:45am

Hard to compete with 5-10′s offerings in the flat pedal shoe market.

mtbant - 11/13/13 - 6:04am

gutted! my fav bike shoes going to be no more :( bah. 5’10s are like wearing lead weights on your feet compared with the links.

Ronin - 11/13/13 - 8:24am

Vans Gravel was a year ahead of the links as far as flat pedal offerings go.

King County - 11/13/13 - 10:20am

I don’t know the entire line, but some of the Teva bike models had funky colors that turned me off. The sneaker pictured looks great, though. I have Teva water shoes and love them.

bin judgin - 11/13/13 - 11:24am

5.10s are better than Teva in every way. The new style ones have come a long way.

I have 2 pairs of Teva, and 2 pairs of 5.10s.

Duder - 11/13/13 - 3:04pm

The real story from elsewhere:

“Teva’s parent company, Deckers Corp, is dropping the line of mountain bike footwear. A public company is a slave to its shareholders, not its customers, and the shareholders win and we lose a great line of products.”

binny bin - 11/13/13 - 3:34pm

i did think the new Pivot’s had potential…..i liked them when i saw them at interbike, but since my Shimano DX are so burly and strong, it’s going to be a few more years of use until they wear out. sad to see Teva go from the mtn bike world for right now as they seemed poised for doing good things. they make great sandals. and that Bormio looks good for snowshoeing….

wunnspeed - 11/21/13 - 7:46am

Good riddance! Their customer service sucks and they make flippers. Yes… having shareholders often makes you beholden to making money in lieu of making a quality product. I really never understand why companies jump in and out of various businesses (i.e. Adidas… bike clothing, WTB… brakes, etc.). Make it or don’t but make a decision. The money wasted is just ridiculous. Anyway… it’s too bad for the people who actually liked their bike shoes.