Found: Uncle Dick’s Bead Slip – Makes Hard Tires Easy to Mount

uncle dicks bead seat paste lube for bicycle tires

Uncle Dick’s Bead Slip paste is a new auto industry-inspired product from Rich Travis, a former service, program and product manager at SRAM & Hayes Bicycle Group.

It’s a waxy, paste like product that you brush onto the outside bead of the tire before mounting, it helps get the tire onto the rim and into the bead socket quickly and easily. And, unlike soapy water or other similar products, it won’t potentially work its way under the rim tape or mess with the sealant’s consistency or efficacy. In fact, he says it helps condition the tire and keep it soft, ultimately helping ease removal when the time comes, too.

It’s aimed at the shop guys to help speed up tire installs. Travis says, as a shop mechanic, you can’t really bill for 45 minutes worth of time if you get a difficult tire, but you still have to install it as promised. With UD’s bead slip, the “super lubricious” formula helps get the tire on and let is easily slip into the socket and hold and inflate at 20-30 psi. Yes, please.

uncle dicks bead seat paste lube for bicycle tires

Bonus: It’s made in the US. A 2.7oz tub retails for $19.99, and they’ll also two sets of brushes (hard or soft) for $7.99 per 10-pack. They aren’t required, but also handy for applying grease, tubular glue, etc.

He’s been testing it for a year in Wheel and Sprocket bike shops in Wisconsin. Olympic Supply Company has been distributing it in the Midwest for a few months, and now he’s looking for broader US distribution. Check them out at UncleDicksBikeShop.com.

Comments

Charlie Best - 10/09/13 - 2:25pm

AKA Vaseline?

satisFACTORYrider - 10/09/13 - 2:41pm

the word associations on the cover label sold it for me. brush it on & reduce wobble? yes, pls..oh wait..

CE - 10/09/13 - 3:07pm

Hmm, one might think after a 45 minute installation, mulit-day tire sealing process, and leaky rim-strips the bike industry would take the hint and realize that “tubeless compatible” simply aren’t reliable enough for IBD to market to their customers. Nah, all we need is bead lube.

dan - 10/09/13 - 3:09pm

or you can buy a huge container of tire bead lube at your auto supply store for 10.00

mtbtec - 10/09/13 - 3:32pm

I’ve allways been a Dapper Dan man myself…

Tath - 10/09/13 - 3:46pm

@CE: Tubeless set-ups generally take me about 10 minutes per tire, and they’re good to ride a few hours later (maybe sooner, but I generally give it a few hours). Once in a while, you have to re-tape a tire, but that isn’t very often , specially if you use gorilla tape (once in the past year on 3 bikes for me). Tubes just aren’t an option in some of the places I ride – there’s far too much cactus, and tons of rocks that would cause a pinch flat on tubes at the pressures I like to run.

NDE - 10/09/13 - 3:57pm

It looks like flux to me: http://www.oatey.com/products/copper-installation/flux/h-205-paste-flux

jw - 10/09/13 - 4:01pm

More unnecessary GARBAGE for the landfill. I’m sure it works so much better than soap.

Yoda - 10/09/13 - 4:26pm

I typically use my manly fingers and a couple of curse words to encourage the tire to concede.

Nick - 10/09/13 - 4:29pm

Love this stuff! Use it at the shop, works great, especially for pesky roller ski wheels and tires.

ps, I’m one of those Wheel & Sprocket wrenches

patrik - 10/09/13 - 4:56pm

Mr. Zogg’s Sex Wax rolls in his grave.

Devin - 10/09/13 - 5:36pm

@patrik- yes, but he does it with less friction than before!

Mindless - 10/09/13 - 5:51pm

And if you decide to use it with a tube, next time you brake, tire slips and rips the tube valve off.

And I do not think permanently slipping bead is great for a tubeless setup either. People use soapy water or just the sealant for a reason.

Quick hack for a shop mechanic – big trouble for the customer.

Aaron - 10/09/13 - 6:20pm

Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. Every competent shop or home mechanic has one.

Ham-planet - 10/09/13 - 10:50pm

@Mindless
If your tyre is relying on friction with the outer faces of the rim, you have bigger problems to be concerned with.

Mindless - 10/10/13 - 1:19am

@Ham-planet: It absolutely relies on friction between tire bead and rim. It will slip when braking without it. That is exactly how it works. There is nothing else that prevents tire from rotating around rim but friction. It is the definition of friction.

Mindless - 10/10/13 - 1:22am

@Aaron: I have it at home, but I think the last time I used it was trying to put Geax tires on Stan’s rim, and it also failed. Rest works fine…

Aaron - 10/10/13 - 2:21am

I’ve always found a generous application of good ‘ol Simple Green at the bead works wonders. Lubricating and quick-drying. Also spray-applicable (quick, and gets into the bead as well as the rim) AND cleans your rims/tires as it’s applied. If it ain’t broke…

ShopMechanic - 10/10/13 - 1:51pm

Schwalbe Easy Fit tire mounting fluid.

Gino - 10/10/13 - 5:14pm

Talcum powder

Nooge - 10/13/13 - 12:39pm

Used to work at a shop. Most tires can be hand mounted if you keep the bead in the center channel of the rim. Tire levers never failed to get the tough ones, including Bontrager MTB tubeless, which actually have a raised center. Proper technique for the win.

AndyD - 11/17/13 - 4:40pm

If it takes 45 minutes for you to intall any tire other than a tubular you’re in the wrong profession, or have the forearm strength of a small girl. I do, on average, between 15 and 30 flat fixes a day at DH/freeride specific shop, and it never takes more than 15 minutes, even with the toughest tire/rim combos out there. [deleted]