A 5 Pound Racing Bike? Yep! Strider Strikes Again With The Aluminum ST-PRO

STRIDER ST PRO

If we “adults” are allowed to count grams why can’t the kids do it too?

Weighing in at a truly svelte 4.9lbs the new ST-PRO is the lightest production Strider in the world. And while perhaps not as full-out spec’ed as the Zelvy Carbon balance bike we saw here, it’s bound to be a fraction of the price. Scoot past the break for more…

Strider-ST-PRO-Lift

How’d they swing that? Aluminum and not steel is the obvious answer. Any why not? The kids are bound to leave it out in the rain and snow. At least rust will be an evil of the past. And with their Puncture-Proof EVA Polymer Tires, flats will be too! Shoot, now I kinda want one. But even Strider’s impressive 18 months-to-5 years age range won’t quite accommodate me. Oh well…

Comments

MikeC - 10/03/13 - 10:27am

Yawn. Wake me when Strider releases the carbon version.

uglyyeti - 10/03/13 - 10:50am

So glad that companies are finally realizing that kids bikes are too heavy. Great move.

Dyno-mite! - 10/03/13 - 10:54am

“spec’ed” is a fake word and you are over-using it, bicycle media.

Mindless - 10/03/13 - 12:56pm

Kids bikes are ridiculously heavy. Took me a while to find light weight ones, and then had to put a lot of minor upgrades.

They come stock with like two extra pounds just for handlebars and seatpost..

Ben - 10/03/13 - 1:00pm

No rack mounts? I don’t know why manufacturers continue to build these one purpose rigs and continue to ignore the larger market. I mean this thing has a 3.5 year age range!? I can’t afford to replace my bike every three years, ridiculous. Anyway, I’ll wait for the Rapha edition.

Raidthefridgeguy - 10/03/13 - 1:26pm

My 4 year old races strider class in BMX. The weight isn’t as big of a deal as the need for real tires. That being said, I would still buy the lighter aluminum one. Gliders work great for kids.

Lancelot - 10/03/13 - 10:39pm

How much?

slippyfish - 10/04/13 - 1:18pm

I think my kid’s heavy steel Strider makes him go faster on the downhills, making him more aggro.

Kyle - 10/13/13 - 3:53am

As a bike dealer I’ve been fortunate to get my hands on an early edition of the Strider Pro and I’m very impressed with this latest model. The ST3 and ST4 come in at just under 7 lbs and the PRO with it’s all-aluminum frame, at 4.9lbs. Whether it’s a ST4 or Pro model, anything under 7lbs is light weight and extremely maneuverable for any toddler. On a personal level, both of my kids started on their Striders before they were 18 months old and mastered their balance skills long before their peers and moved on to traditional bikes before reaching the age of 4. Something not generally reached by children who used tricycles and/or training wheels. A balance bike is not suppose to be a long term bike. They are designed to be builders of skills and confidence that they can carry with them throughout their childhood and adulthood. Strider is only producing a limited numbers of the Pro this year and the inquires/demands has been overwhelmingly high. So high that we had to start a pre-order waiting list via first come, first serve.