Of all the new items in the Hydrapak booth, one of the smallest also happens to be one of the biggest – as in the highest flow of water from a bite valve. That’s what Hydrapak is claiming anyways with their new Blaster valve. The valve is a direct replacement for any 1/4″ line hydration pack and will come as standard equipment on all 2014 packs – including the new Bishop which is finally getting official after the jump.
It may not seem like a big deal, but since I mentioned it in the past, Hydrapak deserves some credit for adding perforations to the plastic that covers their bite valves for shipping. You no longer need a knife to get the plastic off eliminating the risk of cutting the valve or yourself. Additionally, the valves have an on/off locking switch and can be disassembled for cleaning. You can retrofit your current pack for $5.99.
Really more of a running product, Hydrapak is offering three new large flasks that can be used for water or energy drink, that collapse as you use them. The award winning design collapses down to about the size of a crushed pop can when you’re done and features a high flow bite valve with adjustable flow. The new sizes are bigger with 350, 500, and 750ml offerings so you can ditch the bottle on your next run or hike and stash it in your pocket when you’re done.
We got a sneak peek of the new Bishop pack at Sea Otter, but the production versions are finally here. Listed as the most technical packs Hydrapak has ever made, the Bishop and Bishop EXT include rain covers, helmet carriers, improved internal organization, and more. The Bishop is a 12L pack while the EXT bumps up to 15L.
Both packs feature the new chassis with an aluminum shank frame and Air Tread back panel which has side vents that connect to vents facing your back. The swivel tacked shoulder straps also have thick foam with aggressive venting to keep it comfy.
The Bishop will retail for $139.99 and the Bishop EXT slightly more at $149.99.
- Air Tread Back Panel with Ergo-Bend aluminum stays for load stability and comfort
- Swivel Tacked Hinged Harness for increased range of fit and comfort
- Thru-Vent padded shoulder straps distribute the weight better than standard foam straps
- Splash Guard Rain Cover included
- Bucket Wrap Helmet Carrier
- Zippered Belt pockets provide a secure, quick-stash area for keys, cash, credit cards Or gels and energy bars
- Fleece-lined device pocket protects phone and electronic devices
- Large front pocket w/multiple internal organizer pockets, elastic loops, and key clip
- Side Zip pockets for quick access to essential items
- Stash Pocket behind the the applied Pocket and body of pack
- Dedicated zippered Reservoir Pocket on back panel
- Sternum strap with wide range of adjustability
Wooly Mammoth insulated bottles continue with a few tweaks and two sizes. The new bottle proved to keep its cool during a hot day poolside in Vegas – until this broken arm heals, that will have to suffice for a review!