IB13: Linus debuts new roadie, the Libertine & Brooklyn Cruiser has new Franklin and Bedford Models

Linus Libertine

Linus takes inspiration from the 50′s and 60′s era of French cycling to produce city and urban bicycles that are affordable and fun.  New for 2014 they are debuting their drop bar road bike dubbed the Libertine.  It has a 16 speed drive train comprised of a Sora derailleur, downtube shifters, and a double chainring fitted to the crank.  The pretty blue paint is covering a double butted cro-moly, tig welded frame.  The fork is held on with a 1″ threaded headset, and the bike includes fender and rack mounts, plus painted to match fenders already installed.  MSRP will be a very reasonable $939.

Join us past the jump for new Linus pannier on/off the bike bags, plus something new from Brooklyn Cruiser.

Linus Libertine Painted Fenders

Linus Libertine Frame Details

Linus Elanore Bag

Linus Bag Hardware

Linus Harrison bag

Present in the Linus booth was their accessories line.  New for this year are two bags that look equally as good on and off the bike.  The women’s version, the Elanore, and the men’s version, the Harrison, are both constructed from canvas and leather.  They sport hardware that allows you to hook them to a rear rack.  And, they have a D ring and supplied pad lock to secure them to said rack if you need to pop into the shop for just a moment.

Brooklyn Cruiser Bedford 7

In my visit to the Brooklyn Cruiser booth, I was shown two new models.  Like the Linus bikes, these two are designed to be affordable, around town bicycles.  Brooklyn is hitting a pretty aggressive price point however, and doing so with a quality parts build.  Both the new Bedford (traditional diamond frame) and the Franklin (step through frame) are made from straight gauge cro-moly steel, not hi tensile steel.  And, they come with nice features like a metal headtube badge, reflectors that are slotted into the pedal so they don’t pop off, painted fenders, a rack mount, and even a Shimano Acera rear derailleur rather than a Tourney mech.

Brooklyn Crusier Franklin

Both are available in either a single speed version for a cool $399.  Stepping up to the 7 speed derailleur version will cost you a scant $489.  These rides weigh in at around 23 lbs. This is definitely a ride I would recommend to anyone looking for an entry level bike when they don’t have a lot of cash to drop.  Heck, I am thinking about getting a Bedford myself for runs to the store, coffee shop, and even the bar.

Comments

Kyle - 09/26/13 - 1:39am

I can picture the fat hipster D-bag, wearing a too tight plain shirt with his fixie, berating his fellow D-bag friend with the mustache and parted hair for buying a “geared bike”.

Plaid shirt: “I’m old school, I just feel more connected to the road on my fixed. I just picked it up, it’s a MASI, it doesn’t say it but it’s made in italy”

Hair part: “I saw this bike in the show room and it was just so deck! It’s got a leather saddle, I’m pretty sure it’s a brooks”

I love seeing companies using heavy, antiquated, non easily interchangeable parts on a bike simple to make it look old.

NoBodyMan - 09/26/13 - 1:53am

Kyle,

I don’t see anything on these bikes which would count as antiquated or any components being unable to be easily exchanged. These two brands both value aesthetic and function before technology, and deliver bikes according to that credo. Sure this sits well with your “hipster” graphic, having sold similar bikes to folks from all walks of life, I must say the worst part about these brands are the attitudes of rude riders like yourself. If it gets people on bikes, it is good for all of us.

Nick Burklow - 09/26/13 - 2:12am

@NoBodyMan – you are close, what they value is getting people on bikes at a entry level price. The parts build on these bikes isn’t old or antiquated as @Kyle seems to think, it’s low end, thus cheap. Cheap isn’t always bad either, as these bikes look good, and have builds that are reliable enough to keep a rider going for years assuming regular maintenance is done. I for one, applaud both companies efforts for making low end bikes that aren’t disposable, but rather something a new rider will cherish and love

@Kyle, do you even know any hipsters, hair parts are so last spring! And they spend way more than these bikes cost on their fixies. By the time the frame is powder coated and a carbon front wheel is built, and a custom CNC chainring is purchased, they are over $1k easy.

shafty - 09/26/13 - 7:00am

Now we’re going back to DT shifters, too?! I really hope the inspiration they took from french cycling was their headset and bottom bracket threading.

Dave - 09/26/13 - 9:30am

Linus has been around for 5 or 6 years and we have sold hundreds. These bikes have been amazing since day one. They build easily, the parts hold up extremely well, and the look of these bikes are classic.

Linus hits home with a segment of the bike riding market with get around town bikes to get a cup of coffee, go to the farmers market etc and they are beautiful. You can consider them fashion bikes but Linus is the market leader in this segment and the new Libertine road bike will be a huge hit.

These bikes inspire fun and isn’t that what riding should be?

For the price and spec I would dare you to find a better bike.

mark - 09/26/13 - 10:25am

23 Pounds?? Is that the front or rear wheel? Did you even pick it up?

flimflam - 09/26/13 - 11:17am

parting your hair is a hipster thing? wtf? the funniest/saddest thing i’ve ever heard. apparently in Kyle’s world he and his best friends are the only non-hipsters in the world.

Jeffy - 09/26/13 - 12:15pm

The bikes look like cheap versions of Rivendell Bikes.

Rye - 09/26/13 - 2:11pm

There’s a number of bike companies making bikes like this. Public, Civia, Fuji, Raleigh, Surly, All-City, Electra, Soma, etc. Not all at that particular price point for a full build, but definitely in that similar style.

Carbon road bikes or hell, even aluminum ones are overkill for the average person looking to get to point A to point B. The industry needs to start focusing on marketing bicycles as a form of transportation and practicality rather than pushing the sport aspect of it. Yes, racing is fun and exciting, but doesn’t appeal to the 35 year old mom looking to get to her job with kids in tow or for a young professional looking for a cheap, easy way to get around town.

I’m glad to see more practical bikes like this being made. BTW downtube shifters are great, low maintenance, easily serviceable, and are difficult to destroy. If you’re riding with brifters and the guts fail, it’s hard to service them out on the road.

I love all bikes, so kudos to Linus for creating a practical city bike.

Pedals - 09/26/13 - 2:38pm

Haters gonna’ hate.

Nate - 09/26/13 - 6:51pm

Smile, for christs sake. It’s a bicycle. Ride, grin, repeat. Since when is this a culture war?

Kyle - 09/27/13 - 1:19am

I suppose it’s foolish of me to be frustrated by consumer tastes for products that uses outdated technology solely for an aesthetic appeal.

Linus bikes are certainly not inexpensive for the given spec.

I suppose my frustration stems from an annoyance at form overriding function.

DT shifters, 1″ forks, threaded steerers, quill stems, 2 piece forks (I would argue steel frames) have all be supplanted by lighter, more standardised and all around better interfaces.

I’m no buyer but I would suspect that using these old technologies saves very little money in terms of manufacturing.

excuse my malcontentedness but this bike’s existence is bothersome, maybe I’m a bike snob.

Kyle - 09/27/13 - 1:24am

use*

Most of my disgruntlement is directed towards the libertine

Jeremy - 10/29/13 - 11:42am

the Brooklyn’s looked pretty damn good at the show although I do not think they’re widely available. $399 for a non-disposable (re: Pure Fix) CrMO bike will surely be in demand.