All-New Cervelo R5 Road Bike Borrows Top End Tech at Half the Price

2014 Cervelo R5 road bike

Cervelo introduced their latest top end Project California edition, the 667g RCA, earlier this year. Now, the R5 gets updated with much of the same tech but at half the $10,000 price.

The big changes include the switch from the boxy tube shapes to their Squoval shaping, which melds oval and square shapes to blend stiffness with aerodynamics. They’re boasting a 7.4 watt advantage. It also yields a 9.5% stiffer bottom bracket junction and 15% stiffer head tube section.

At $5,000 for the frameset, it’s not cheap, but at least it’s future proof. Routing will work with any mechanical, electronic or hydraulic (brakes – rim, not disc) systems. They’ve even bumped tire clearance for spacious 25c accommodations.

2014-Cervelo-R5-road-bike-comparison

From a quick glance, they’re not all that different looking. Click to enlarge (a bit) and you’ll notice a little more edge to the downtube-to-headtube and top tube-to-seatstay transitions. That, and apparently the saddle likes to be pointed down more now.

2014 Cervelo R5 road bike

Three complete bikes are offered ranging from $7,000 (Red 22) up to $9,000 (DA Di2), and the frameset, which includes the fork, headset and seatpost, is $5,000. So, um, yeah – $2,000 for a full SRAM Red 22 group and wheels, cockpit and the rest? No brainer.

We’ll have more details on the new bike from Eurobike.

2014 Cervelo R5 road bike frameset

Comments

rico - 08/23/13 - 2:59pm

5 grand?

Xris - 08/23/13 - 3:12pm

Not surprised. The old R5 was at 5k msrp when it first came out for a full Sram Rival build. Technology hype!

pmurf - 08/23/13 - 3:17pm

Maybe I’m overreacting but it irks me to no end when I see any bike that costs more than $500 have a saddle, bars, and levers adjusted like that for press release pictures.

Eyal - 08/23/13 - 4:44pm

Heavier than the outgoing model. $5K is way overpriced.

Rodolfo Araujo - 08/23/13 - 4:55pm

A new fork… FK35 instead of the FK33 that was used previously. RCA uses FK33…

Haya - 08/23/13 - 5:27pm

Yes, it’s radically different from the old one isn’t it………

Sly - 08/23/13 - 6:25pm

I simply don’t understand.
For 500$ more you get a COMPLETE HONDA CB500F 2014 MOTORCYCLE.
Don’t tell me the enginering and the mold are expensive, etc,…

On the other hand, the more people buy these expensive frames, the more I will benefit from trickle down technologies … on an affordable bike.
So, I support all those who think that when buying such a frame they’ll become better cyclists.
Me, I’ll just use a more affordable bike and HTFU !

Sly - 08/23/13 - 6:46pm

For those who don’t know what I meen

MMyers - 08/23/13 - 8:34pm

Sly

Economics of scale. How many Hondas will be sold relative to how many Cervelos?

One can also spend $100K+ on a motorcycle. Do you compare those motorcycles to Hondas?

greshkov - 08/23/13 - 10:46pm

I’ve never thought I was a better cyclist because I own an R5. I just happen to enjoy my rides more. I’d happily pay for another one if something happened to my current bike.

Velo - 08/23/13 - 10:52pm

> How many Hondas will be sold relative to how many Cervelos?

I bet more Cervelo R5′s are sold than Honda CB500F’s.

rico - 08/24/13 - 12:08am

Nothing wrong with owning one, they are sweet! But I’d try to get a new/used on ebay for like 1/2 that price.

greg - 08/24/13 - 12:21am

…so many poor people on bikerumor…
cant see how anyone could spend 5k on a bike frame? good for you, now move along, youre in the way.

Lars - 08/24/13 - 7:13am

@Greg, really funny, cool comment

John - 08/24/13 - 7:51am

@Greg not poor. just people that their lives didn’t turn out the way they wanted to so they have to be bitter about things they cant afford.

Jeb - 08/24/13 - 10:35am

Another lawyer bike [yawn]. Bikes are so darn good these days the performance difference between this and a $1500.00 frame isn’t worth worrying about. $3500.00 for the Cervelo logo.

Sly - 08/24/13 - 11:12am

@ greshkov

You say: “I’ve never thought I was a better cyclist because I own an R5. I just happen to enjoy my rides more.”

Imagine how much I enjoy my ride when I drop a R5 VWD owner on rides with my “poor people” bike !

c-mil - 08/24/13 - 12:25pm

Who in the world is approving these marketing photos!! Like pmurf said, the saddle, bars, levers and even cables are completely set wrong! This isn’t a Walmart bike. C’mon guys put a bit of pride into your product. I work in the marketing biz and would never let this go.

a.j. Bosch - 08/24/13 - 12:52pm

I’ve heard of two guys breaking seat stays on the R5. Has anyone else had issues?

Ben - 08/24/13 - 2:55pm

Seems it would be hard to drop others with that huge chip on your shoulder

edge - 08/24/13 - 9:36pm

Keep making these bikes…. it just makes me feel even better when I roll past them in a race. Last LOCAL TT I did a guy showed up in $15K worth of Specialized Shiv including upgraded wheels. I was sure he was going to be the winner…I mean he had THE BIKE. He was actually in a beginner class and didn’t even do that well. I like a nice bike but $5K for a frame does not give you $5K worth of performance.

greshkov - 08/24/13 - 10:03pm

@ sly,

if that’s really what’s important to you, buy a $100 dollar bike off of craigslist and shame everyone. i don’t buy bikes so that i can prove anything to anyone else. i buy them to enjoy my riding experience. when i get dropped by guys on less expensive bikes i don’t feel shame. when i drop guys on bikes more expensive than mine i don’t think i’m somehow better than them. i’m not a lawyer or dentist, i’m just a guy making an okay amount of money who likes nice bikes.

Ninja Dickie - 08/24/13 - 11:16pm

I have lots of expensive bikes. But expensive is all relative. A couple grand for a cool bike is no sweat. But for other guys 100 grand for a 911 is no sweat. Some poeple put millions into hobby farms and wineries. I don’t hate on them or call them stupid for wasting their money. It’s all the same to me, if you have the means, then get whatever you want. If you don’t have the means, then don’t worry about it.

Harry - 08/25/13 - 3:33am

I replaced my 2011 year model Cervelo with a 2013 Cannondale recently. Best cycling-related decision Ive made so far.

rico - 08/25/13 - 5:27am

I could spend 5k on a C59 but 3K on a Cervelo max. Sorry.

Antipodean G - 08/25/13 - 7:06pm

Value is a complex equation and involves a lot of different factors, as well as being highly subjective depending on who you are.

5K for a production carbon bike popped out of a mold in Taiwan or China? Expensive? Depends. 5k for a made in USA custom bike, say a Firefly… expensive? Maybe not. What’s the backend investment in research, engineering and tooling? Material costs and top end QC? Projected volume? Buyer take up? Redundant stock? It all adds up.

Sort of why a Porsche costs what a Porsche does.

To me yes, I feel 5k is a lot of dosh for something popped out of a mold, with no more love or care put into it than the 3k model doing the same thing. But that’s me. I drive a van because I like it and own it. I’d never buy a Porsche as to me it’s a wasted investment for what I’d use it for.

If you can’t afford it, don’t harsh on those that can. Pointless argument. If you can, and don’t that’s cool too. But if you can, and do, then if it makes you feel good. hey, why the hell not?

1Pro - 08/26/13 - 1:43pm

hey there Antipodean, see if you can muster the [sale:R&D:direct mfg COGS:marketing budget] ratios of

firefly
porche
cervelo

i bet you find porche and firefly are not that far off while cervlo puts its money into selling and little else. just my opinion.

Pancakes - 08/26/13 - 2:13pm

Cervelo caters to a market that doesn’t find their prices objectionable. As far as I can tell, none of the people griping about the prices have been forced by Cervelo to buy one of their bikes.

$1200 still gets you a Tiagra CAAD8, and I have no problem with someone buying one. By the same token, if someone has the means to buy this bike for several times that, I’m not taking it as a personal attack.

Remember, people still buy 6 series BMWs too (but we all know that’s just silliness)

FizzyD - 08/27/13 - 2:59pm

Love my Cervelo R5, it makes me want to get out and ride, ride and ride some more… I head out with guys with cheaper bikes and more expensive ones too. Just great that we are all out riding!

Fragglepussthechaste - 08/27/13 - 6:39pm

I’m glad to see the ever insightful PinkBike forum has moved to the Bike Rumor comment section *sigh*.
The new R5 is an absolutely beautiful bike and is definitely on my radar along with a Devinci Leo SL.