650b Turner Flux spotted at PressCamp!

SONY DSC6/24 Edit:  Official press release added after the break.

Poking around Park City before the official start of Press Camp this afternoon, we came across the Turner crew- and a fleet of shiny looking Flux.  For 2014, the US-made Flux is moving to the same 27in wheels as the excellent Burner.  A cross-country or trail rider’s all ’rounder with 120mm of travel and a .75lb weight savings over the 140mm, 7lb Burner.  In a first for the company, the reborn Flux is also making use of hydroformed tubing for increased standover and fork clearance.  More details after the jump…

Bent tubing is a Turner first

Bent tubing is a Turner first

SONY DSC

Tapered steerer in a straight head tube keeps the front end low.

Tapered steerer in a straight head tube keeps the front end low.

Replaceable anchors in the post-type caliper mount

Replaceable anchors in the post-type caliper mount

Fully enclosed cabling

Fully enclosed cabling

SONY DSC

Solid 142x12mm thru axle rear hub

SONY DSCSONY DSC

The New Turner Flux 27.5

Murietta, Calif. (June 24, 2013)

High performance bicycle designer and manufacturer Turner Bicycles reintroduces the Flux with 27.5 inch wheels aimed at the avid xc trail rider. This American made bike incorporates 6061 aluminum and solidifies Turner Suspension Bicycles’ long standing tradition of superb handling, uncompromised quality and dw-link efficiency.

The new Flux 27.5 has been completely redesigned from the ground up to take your pursuit for exceptional trail riding further & faster than ever before. It now features 27.5 inch wheels to get that perfect balance of trail dominating control and the playful agility for technical twisty singletrack. Its slacker head angle and lower bb contribute to a package that will eat up every foot of trail without sacrificing the nimble traits of its xc lineage. The updated dw-link kinematics tuned specifically for the 27.5 inch wheels of the Flux ensure that eats up terrain while maintaining pedaling efficiency. Travel has been bumped up to 120 millimeters with an all new shaped tubeset to save weight and be torsionally stiffer. The new Flux 27.5 is not simply a rehash of old ideas; this machine is a perfect example of xc trail bike evolution!

Led by rider and racer David Turner, Turner Bicycles has been making high performance full-suspension mountain bikes since 1994. We’ve earned our winning reputation by delivering performance, pedaling efficiency, and reliability, and have a large following of devoted Turner Riders who have come to rely on the progressive evolution of our bikes and our exceptional customer service. Turner Bicycles has been at the forefront of suspension bike technologies with our Burner, Stinger, Nitrous, RFX, Flux, Highline, and Sultan, among others. At Turner Bicycles, we ride what we build, so we design and build quality without compromise.

For more information either call us at (951) 677-1711 or visit us at www.turnerbikes.com

Turner’s Flux page

turnerbikes.com

Comments

DHboi - 06/17/13 - 8:07pm

Gawd thats an ugly bike, Turners are really looking dated apart from the new Csar!

MMyers - 06/17/13 - 9:40pm

I’m normally a Turner fan, but for some unknown reason, I find this bike very unimpressive.

LP - 06/17/13 - 10:06pm

Agree

Looks a bit like a huffy…with envy wheels!

LP - 06/17/13 - 10:09pm

Edit “enve”

LMFA - 06/17/13 - 10:55pm

The 80s called, they want their flimsy elevated chainstays back. Nishiki, Mantis, ???

dale - 06/17/13 - 11:41pm

Is that a 90 degree seat tube? These metal, boutique full suspension bikes look like tanks these days. So glad I dumped my Banshee for a carbon santa cruz.

Tom - 06/18/13 - 1:13am

… Said a bunch of [deleted] who never created anything new in their lives.

RoDe - 06/18/13 - 2:31am

Sorry Dave not impressed by this at all. Come out with the RFX already.

deanopatoni - 06/18/13 - 2:49am

Function before form. I like it and bet that it rides really nice. 120mm travel keeps it interesting too.

bitchin&moanin - 06/18/13 - 3:05am

Yeah Dave, . . . we don’t give a rats a** how it rides or anything important. We just wanna look good when we’re out on the trail, so everyone thinks we’re super gnar in the dirt, even if we can’t ride they’ll be impressed at how the bike looks

gringo - 06/18/13 - 4:50am

does anyone launch a bike somewhere other than Park City these days.
old hat man, old hat.

What? - 06/18/13 - 6:00am

I am a Turner fan, but that is one ugly bike.

jallll - 06/18/13 - 6:26am

i agree…. why bending the toptube???

Raidthefridgeguy - 06/18/13 - 8:05am

I LOVE the elevated chain stays. No chain suck and super quiet. A 650 with XC travel. Fantastic.

Tommy Rodgers - 06/18/13 - 8:42am

The steep seat angle is a bit of an illusion as the rear wheel is elevated on a small rock.

I also LOVE elevated chainstays – silent drivetrain and so much easier to clean. Will be super-stealthy silent with XX1-type chainring and a clutch rear derailleur.

My only question – why does it weigh 6.25 lbs with shock? My Santa Cruz Superlight (in reality, only kinda-light) has a 5.5 lbs frame with shock (although only 100mm travel).

So close, but STILL no aluminum (or even carbon) XC-race-able 650 FS frames (except conversions). Maybe a carbon Flux in the future?

MissedThePoint - 06/18/13 - 9:09am

All relatively straight tubing except for the top tube. Blasphemous!

Tommy Tucker - 06/18/13 - 9:12am

Dave Turner is big on tyre clearance and this bike has none, its just a joke.

bin judgin - 06/18/13 - 9:39am

Are people really complaining about 6 pound full suspension frames?

urbiksux - 06/18/13 - 9:41am

Thrilled to see a 120mm 650b bike. Thrilled to see an aluminum dwlink bike. I will not echo the poignant comments above regarding aesthetics, but I will focus on the positive… the Czar is beautiful. The Czar looks are what we want. We know you can do it.

Steve M - 06/18/13 - 10:22am

American built, nice welding, thoughtful detailing….. Amazing how Ducati’s and KTM’s have some of the most beautiful bikes in world and they have round steel tube frames.

Mitch B - 06/18/13 - 10:58am

ditto with Steve M on the welding and round tube frames. Nice to see an American made
frame with the excellent DW suspension.

Mat M. - 06/18/13 - 11:03am

Meh….looks old and boring

Tommy Rodgers - 06/18/13 - 11:58am

@ bin judgin – I’ve likely owned more “nice bikes” than you’ve actually ridden. I’m on the Superlight as it’s one of the only light-ish FS bikes that can be easily converted. And, in reality, it’s a nice bike too.

I’m only pointing out that there still isn’t a lightweight XC race FS option for 650b. Plenty of mid-travel 6-8 lbs. frames already, no lack of those.

If you’d ever care to compare race resumes, I’m all in.

Zen Bike Fab - 06/18/13 - 12:12pm

Thank you for the fabrication compliments! They are fun to build ;) Posted some more photos on our Facebook page.

dougal - 06/18/13 - 12:18pm

Wait, what happened to the taco? (:

Tommy Rodgers - 06/18/13 - 12:52pm

Looks like the comments were cleaned up a bit, so just for clarification, my earlier comment was in answer to a pointed comment (now deleted). Feel free to delete my last comment if you feel it necessary.

Jeff - 06/19/13 - 8:45pm

There it is! There’s my next bike! Been waiting for a Flux 650b w/ 120mm for the past couple of years. I knew they would build it. I will say that I liked the look of the Burrito more but I guess lighter is better and every manufacturer needs to change up there look a little every now and then… just as long as it is still stiff.

jeff - 06/19/13 - 9:00pm

This bike would look better, btw, if the rear was not elevated on a rock.

RUSTYDOGG - 06/20/13 - 10:55am

Luv your bikes Dave. All I will ever buy is Turner. But damn just not so crazy about that Flux. There was nothing wrong with the 26″. Perfect bike in my opinion. I know you gotta build bikes for the sheep to stay in business. Yeah, Im going 29er with the Czar but the my DW Flux will always be in my heart.

Liljazbass - 06/20/13 - 6:03pm

It’s a no brainer folks. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s obviously not for everyone, but for those that are familiar with the attention to detail and level of craftsmanship put into Turner bikes by both David Turner and Zen Fab, realize that the geometric abilities of this bike will far surpass any issues with the aesthetics.

outlaw - 06/20/13 - 8:48pm

This is what is wrong with mountain biking, Its about ride quality not looks you leg shaving homes :)

MMyers - 06/24/13 - 8:04pm

@ Tommy

Well, if you’re Tom Rodgers who raced for GT etc, then of course you’re correct.

…and hello, form the old Bikemag boards.

gopherman - 06/26/13 - 11:32am

no carbon. Fail.

Mito - 07/09/13 - 10:22am

I like the bike. Wonder if it comes in WSD models.