Bikerumor Monday Mystery Pic

mystery

Photo submitted by Matty Bates, “Some brakes we found on a Trek. I’ve never seen anything like it.” If you think you know what this part is, post your answer in the ‘comments’ section.

To send in your own Mystery Pic to be considered for the Monday feature, click here and attach your photo with all pertinent information.

Comments

uglyyeti - 06/03/13 - 7:14am

Paul Crosstop

SERAMIK - 06/03/13 - 7:51am

SURE BUT FOR CANTI LEVERS;;;

floibex - 06/03/13 - 7:59am

first version of paul crosstop brake, aka crosstop I

Tim - 06/03/13 - 8:22am

Paul Crosstop. These brakes were more or less a copy of the IRD Widget Brake. The idea was that, at that time, everyone used cantilevers. With traditional cantilever brakes, the cable housing stops on the frame- and on full suspension bikes, the frame moves, which can activate the brake. So the guys at IRD made a brake whose cable stop is on the brake, allowing the suspension to move without putting on the brakes.
The Crosstop came in several versions- the one in the picture, the Crosstop 2, with a revised , lighter rocker arm, and circular holes drilled in it; the Crosstop 3, which had ti bolts, an even lighter rocker arm, and more complex rectangular holes cut out of it; the Crosstop MC, which was a Crosstop 3, but with stainless bolts and without the weight cutouts.
Another company used this same design; that brake was called the Strange Brake.
This design of brake worked extremely well when paired with the right brake levers. Set up right, it always had a reserve of power. It was a pain to set up, though. Never use them with V-Brake levers!
More weird brakes are at:

Fatboy - 06/03/13 - 8:43am

Campy wheel activated seatpost dropper

Your Face - 06/03/13 - 9:23am

Cheng Sing tire

WV Cycling - 06/03/13 - 9:43am

I want one!

Tim - 06/03/13 - 9:46am

BTW- if you are setting this brake up, the power really comes on when the rocker arm is tucked way down. The deeper the rocker moves down, the stronger the brake gets.
You’ll get the best results with Shimano SLR Plus brake levers- they truly double both the power and the rim clearance of this brake.

Andy P - 06/03/13 - 9:51am

I have to start waking up earlier on Monday’s to answer these.

Richard - 06/03/13 - 10:37am

Trek 9000 their first full suspension bike with rubber doughnut bumpers and an oil damper that leaked.

Charlie Best - 06/03/13 - 10:49am

I think that is actually a Crosstop 3, the half-moon rotating widget was based off the IRD design.

Nakre Nakresson - 06/03/13 - 1:33pm

I dont get the campy seatpost jokes and they are not funny anymore.

Ben - 06/03/13 - 1:36pm

Custom wooden suspension bump stop.

Marc Basiliere - 06/03/13 - 1:49pm

Those Trek shocks looked like a stack of those waxy chocolate-covered donuts from the high school cafeteria. And the bikes rode terribly.

marc

Jason P - 06/03/13 - 3:16pm

Paul Crossstop- I had these on my old hardtail racebike in the 1990′s. I sold them about a year ago. Great brakes for the time.

Jimmie - 06/03/13 - 3:32pm

I bought one of those back with full XTR for $999.99………….and promptly returned it 24 later. To this day, it is one of the worst full suspension bikes that I have ever ridden. It turned the bike into a pogo stick. Bunny hopping turned into catapulting!

mtb4life - 06/03/13 - 11:45pm

A Trek

Bob - 06/04/13 - 9:27am

I love the mystery pics every week but I have got to ask, does anyone know the origins of the campy seat post…etc jokes? They are getting pretty old and It just occurred to me to ask how it all got started anyone know?

notmikeb - 06/04/13 - 1:54pm

Do you not get the jokes or are they not funny anymore? Pick one, can’t be both. If you don’t get them then they were NEVER funny to you. If they’re not funny ANYMORE then at some point in the past you got them and thought they were funny.

jenbe - 06/04/13 - 6:19pm

ITS CLEARLY A CAMMPY SEAT POST

RobM - 06/05/13 - 7:42am

Gotta wonder about a “mechanic” who hasn’t “ever seen anything like this” – from the 90s. Not like this is a Campagnolo Euclid dropper post or something.

80 - 06/05/13 - 10:38am

@RobM – Brilliant. A *good* Campy dropper post joke never gets old.