Found: Halo Hex Skewers Drop Grams, Remove QR Lever

For weight weenies that are more concerned with sleek looks and gram savings than saving a few seconds during a wheel swap, Halo’s Hex Skewers may fit the bill.

The axles are straight chromoly, so you’re not giving up strength like with some machined, unobtanium options, and end nuts are anodized alloy. The axles use a 5mm hex key bolt head on one end and thread into a steel “no turn” nut on the opposite end that makes tightening easy. The nut also has slots to fit a 15mm pedal wrench, too, just in case things aren’t cooperating.

Three standard versions are available: 100mm front and 130/135mm rear, plus two extra long versions for 100 and 130 hubs on bikes with thicker dropouts. Halo’s a UK brand, and US Retail is $18.99 (through BTI). Not bad for a set that weighs in at a combined 70g. They’re also presumably a bit more aero and, while not really touted as a security item like Atomic22′s bits, they’d certainly slow down a thief.

Comments

Campy Seatpost - 04/02/13 - 4:08pm

I’m not sure why anybody would use QR skewers. Idiots don’t know what they’re doing with them, knowledgeable people have to fiddle to get the orientation right, and it gets even worse if you have to torque just the right amount of preload on crappy hubs.

Of course I don’t have pits or a follow car.

gravity - 04/02/13 - 4:33pm

I’d imagine that an allen wrench weighs about as much as you’d save removing the wing from your QR.

Jorge - 04/02/13 - 4:46pm

70g is not WW….there are plenty way lighter…
and then I personally use DT Swiss 112g that cost over 100 euros… hahaha!!

Swami - 04/02/13 - 5:19pm

I wonder if they’ll get better reviews than these: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_174839_-1___202482#ReviewHeader

vectorbug - 04/02/13 - 5:22pm

Campy Seatpost- I use them because they work 100% of the time when used as intended. Is there some sort of anti-qr movement I don’t know about?

Adam12 - 04/02/13 - 5:41pm

@gravity – We usually have the allen wrench with us already for other problems as it is, so why not shave off the lever.

antipodean_g@eleven.cc - 04/02/13 - 5:55pm

Ummm, I was using the Control Tech Ti version of these in 1993…. which made sense as most QR’s on Mtn bikes blew chunks.

What’s old is new again I guess.

I now have a 142mm X12 on the rear and guess what? I need an allen key to undo it.

Mindless - 04/02/13 - 6:32pm

The only QR I would ever use on my bike (if I am forced to use QR).

Cheap, light, strong, nice looking.

Mindless - 04/02/13 - 6:35pm

@gravity: You already carry an allen wrench. With laywer tabs on modern forks and frames, bolt-ons are actually faster to set and remove.

Of course nobody should use QRs anymore. 15mm/20mm and 135/142 x12 is the way to go. At the very least use 9mm/10mm thorugh axles or rear bolt on hubs for frames with QR drops.

Campy Seatpost - 04/02/13 - 6:46pm

@gravity: I’d have to concede the point that a 5mm hex key is an exotic tool that most riders wouldn’t think to carry along with a spare tube and inflator.

@vectorbug: how long does it take to fix a flat? Unless you’ve got rider support to do a ten second wheel change, QR doesn’t do much to make the experience faster or easier, it just makes putting the wheel back on more error prone. Journeymen screw the pooch, and their love child is the fork with lawyer lips. Masters fuss to make their levers line up in compliance with The Rules. Or everyone could just tighten a damn bolt.

Alan - 04/02/13 - 11:35pm

Whoa. Don’t challenge The Rules…

Psi Squared - 04/03/13 - 12:20am

QR’s: simple and people have been using them successfully for years. The QR paranoia here is a bit over the top.

Topmounter - 04/03/13 - 1:03am

Did these guys buy Control Tech at some point? Based on that image, this design looks identical.

Walt - 04/03/13 - 1:59am

This product has been available for at least 5 years, as most of my town bikes have them to prevent wheel theft. Why is this a featured article?

gringo - 04/03/13 - 11:39am

I am with walt….many, many companies use these (open model, available in Taiwan) axles for city bikes as theft deterrent.

new ano colorz hardly warrant an article.

nameresu - 04/03/13 - 6:14pm

These skewers are crap. Overtighen them one or two times, and they are over. Their nut should be steel, not aluminum.

GB - 04/04/13 - 10:59am

Are these NOS from the 90′s?

They make great theft deterrent for the city bike. And A Great option to get a little tighter rigidity out of your 9mm setup.
But if the objective is weight they really should be made out of Ti. Even the nut as to not strip under torque. Ti can be as strong as steel and as light as Alum alloy. Ti is not unobtanium and the cost really is not very high anymore.
And seems the price is a little high for something that isn’t as light or as fancy as it could be. Not really a high end product.